Friday, December 19, 2008

My MC Hammer Story

Back in 1990, I was attending grad. school in California. I had just left my job as Vice President of Decision Research Corp., a public opinion and political consulting firm headquartered in Cleveland, OH. To make some money while a student, I did a little political consulting. I spoke at a Campaign Management conference at UC Davis. There I met a captain of the Fremont, CA. Fire Dept who was the campaign mgr. for Fremont Mayor, Ben Ball. He hired me to do some voter targeting for the Mayor's re-election campaign.

So where does Hammer come in? MC Hammer, a resident of Fremont, was one of the Mayor's biggest supporters. The Fire Capt. mentioned to Hammer that I had a pretty good rap on my answering machine. I'm pretty sure Hammer called me and listened to the rap. He didn't say anything, but I would recognize that laugh anywhere. Hahaha. That's my MC Hammer story. As we all know, Hammer is too legit to quit!

Thanks for calling, but the Kinsey's aren't home
Or at least they can't come to the telephone.
If you leave your leave your name and your number too
chances are they'll get back to you.
You can leave a short message, to be complete
But just remember wait for the beep.

No comments: