Thursday, July 2, 2009

Happy 74th Birthday Dalai Lama

His Holiness the Dalai Lama turns 74 today.



This account of His Holiness' birth was taken from the official web site. His Holiness the Dalai Lama was born on 6 July 1935, and named Lhamo Thondup, to a poor family in the small village of Taktser in the province of Amdo. The name, Lhamo Thondup, literally means Wish-Fulfilling Goddess. Taktser (Roaring Tiger) was a small and poor settlement that stood on a hill overlooking a broad valley. Its pastures had not been settled or farmed for long, only grazed by nomads. The reason for this was the unpredictability of the weather in that area, His Holiness writes in his autobiography Freedom in Exile. During my early childhood, my family was one of twenty or so making a precarious living from the land there.

His Holiness' parents were small farmers who mostly grew barley, buckwheat and potatoes. His father was a man of medium height with a very quick temper. I remember pulling at his moustache once and being hit hard for my trouble, recalls His Holiness. Yet he was a kind man too and he never bore grudges. His Holiness recalls his mother as undoubtedly one of the kindest people I have ever known. She had a total of sixteen children, of whom seven lived. (Thank you for looking at me)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fabulous! I didn't realize you had a blog! How silly of me to assume otherwise, though.

This is a great post to tribute such an amazing man!
Wishing you a great new week!
Cheers,
Clare